Thursday, April 21, 2011

Boiled Peanuts, General Cornwalis, and Orange Juice


This week was somewhat eventful. Boston was brief; we got in at 0630 hrs and were out by 1100 hrs. I went to sleep and woke up halfway across New York, we were headed to Murphressboro TN, with a pit stop at the terminal in Pittston PA. Got in a good long run there. We had an appointment in the shop but they didn’t get to us so we took out of there. While there I had designs to take care of laundry, but apparently the washer and dryer have been broken for months. They are building a new complex there, so it’s a mess at the moment.
Murphreesboro was quick, we dropped that load, and picked up another trailer for Orlando. Our dispatcher likes those Tropicana loads out of a Tampa Bay suburb. This one was bound for Bismark ND. I checked the weather at 0200 hrs there in Florida and then in ND. It was 64 in Tampa, but 30 in ND. I was happy about that. I like it cold. But fate had other plans. Since we would be  36-48hrs early to deliver it, dispatch had us swap with a solo driver who was a day behind his load, cause he had gotten sick. So off to Charlotte NC, Columbia SC (Where I did basic training twice) and Charleston SC.Again I was saddened to drive by Ft. Jackson, my heart is with those young soldiers there, fresh out of HS and headed into the big bad world as American Soldiers, may they each find God and peace, still trying to figure out why I am not with them. 
             Oh how I wished to see how the British had sacked Charleston and occupied for a winter. America should not be, Washington and his Continental Army was decimated. BUT somehow he camped out a short distance away and miraculously fought disease, desertion, and low morale. He rebuilt the Army that winter and again miraculously defeated the British  lounging there in Charleston. Cornwallis went away with his tail tucked, defeated by an upstart named GW.
            Like I said, our dispatcher likes Tropicana – we drove empty the 450 mi to Tampa! We picked up this load we are under early this morning and we just crossed into Texas. When I wake up I will burn my whole shift in west Texas. I don’t mind, I LIKE west Texas, I consider them mostly western even if they are east coast (east of the continental divide). Their rich western history is the stuff of America. We should be in L.A. Tomorrow night. (GRR- we should be able to drop this load and hook another right away, otherwise, I would hate to try to find parking in the Fontana truckstops in the evening)

No comments:

Post a Comment